Eating Clean: Tomato Sauce
10 February 2013
This is such an easy no fuss way to make a tomato sauce, which can be frozen or used as the base for a casserole or pasta dish.
1.5kg – 2kg of tomatoes makes about 500ml tomato sauce.
Before you begin:
- Heat the oven to a moderate temperature (gas mark 4, 350F, 180C).
Prepare the tomatoes:
- Cut in half and place cut side up in a roasting tin.
Add the flavour:
- Peel and chop a couple of garlic cloves and mix amongst the tomatoes
- Add a herb of your choice, such as, rosemary, oregano, basil
- Drizzle with 5ml rapeseed oil
- Season with black pepper.
- Place in the oven for an hour
- Remove and cool.
Make the sauce:
- Place the tomatoes, garlic and herbs in a sieve
- Using the back of a wooden spoon press the mixture through the sieve.
The sieved tomato sauce is ready of use.